Scope and Aim
Peitho is the peer-reviewed journal of the Coalition of Feminist Scholars in the History of Rhetoric and Composition. Published quarterly, Peitho seeks to encourage, advance, and publish original research in the history of rhetoric and composition.
We invite article-length submissions on a wide range of topics related to feminist theories and gendered practices, including but not limited to:
- archival scholarship
- digital interventions
- emerging pedagogies
- feminist methodologies
- global rhetorics
- historical research
- indigenous studies
- institutional critiques
- issues of embodiment
- LGBTQ+ studies
- minority rhetorics
- rhetorical theory
We also invite shorter submissions for “Recoveries and Reconsiderations,” an annual feature of the journal that serves as a forum for sharing innovative perspectives on and application of existing feminist work, as well an incubator for new feminist research projects. As such, each offering of the feature includes work from multiple contributors. Items for “Recoveries and Reconsiderations” might include, but are not limited to:
- preliminary description and feminist analysis of the work of recently recovered historical groups, figures, and practices
- preliminary description and feminist analysis of current-day groups, figures, and practices
- focused feminist reconsiderations of well-known or established rhetoricians, rhetorical theories, and/or rhetorical practices
- descriptions and contextualizations of archival collections/materials of potential interest to Peitho readers
- examples and discussions of feminist pedagogical practices for re-visioning rhetorical education
Traditional text manuscripts should be submitted as Microsoft Word documents. Most article-length manuscripts are between 6,000 and 8,000 words, and manuscripts for “Recoveries and Reconsiderations” should be no longer than 2,500 words.
Please include a running head that includes a shortened version of your title, but does not include your name. Submissions for “Recoveries and Reconsiderations” should include “Recoveries and Reconsiderations” as part of the manuscript title. Please include an abstract and keywords.
Follow current MLA format (8th edition) for citations. For archival materials, please use the following citation style:
- Author last name, first name. Title or description of material. Date. MS or TS [manuscript or typescript]. Name of Collection. Box number, folder number. Name of repository, affiliated university, city.
We welcome multimedia submissions and digital scholarship. Please contact the Editors if you have questions about sending these types of submissions.
Peer Review Process
Manuscripts should not be previously published or under consideration elsewhere. Manuscripts should bear no identifying information (internal or external) about the author(s).
Manuscripts that are deemed appropriate will be submitted for blind review by two external readers, who will be asked to complete reviews within four to six weeks of receiving them. Authors then will receive those reviews, along with a letter from the editors about the status of their manuscript. The average timeline from submission to response has been six to eight weeks.
Peitho manuscript submissions and peer reviews are managed through the Submittable system. Click the link below to create an account and upload your submission: